What is STIMuSTEP®?
The Finetech Medical's STIMuSTEP system is an active implantable medical device that uses functional electrical stimulation (FES) to help correct dropped foot condition. The system delivers small electrical pulses to the nerves that supply the paralysed muscles. This allows independent control of dorsiflextion (lifting the foot) and eversion (rotate ankle to the correct position), which correcting the abnormal movement of the affected foot during the swing phase of gait.
What are the benefits of STIMuSTEP®?
The STIMuSTEP gives a range of benefits for users, including:
- Easier to walk
- Less likely to trip or fall
- Increased walking speed
- Increased walking range
- Improved joint movement
- Improved ankle stability
- Improved muscle bulk/tone
- Improved local blood flow
- Enhanced quality of life
- Greater safety, confidence and independent
How does it work?
The external Controller (A) is positioned over the site of the Implant Receiver (D) using the Leg Strap (B). The Footswitch (C) is placed under the heel of the foot inside the shoe and plugged into the Controller.
While the Controller is switched on:
- When the heel leaves the floor, the Footswitch triggers the Controller to transmit power and control signals, through the skin, to the Implant Receiver.
- The Implant Receiver converts the received power and control signals into electrical signals which are then sent along the Cooper Cables (E) to the Electrodes (F).
- These signals stimulate the two branches of the common peroneal nerve causing the combination of muscles to contract appropriately, thus lifting and rotating the foot to the correct position for walking.
The Controller stops the stimulation when the Footswitch senses that the heel has struck the ground again.
Is it right for you?
As a guideline, the most suitable candidates are people who fit into the following criteria:
- A single dropped foot resulting from an upper motor neurone lesion.
- Are able to stand up from a seated position and walk at least 50m with an approriate walking aid.
- Medically stable or at least 1 year post injury.
Contact us if you fit into these criteria and are interested in finding out more about this product and receiving the treatment. We will forward on your details to the most appropriate centre.
Frequently Asked Questions - here you can learn more about this product.
The STIMuSTEP User Guide can be downloaded from our Support page if you are a registered user.
DOWNLOAD - STIMuSTEP product leaflet.