IMPULSE - The Project
IMPULSE (derived from Improved Mobility through imPlanted fUnctional eLectrical Stimulation of nErves) was a MedLINK project involving 7 partners, including 4 SMEs, from The Netherlands and the UK. The project ran for 3.5 years and the cost of €1.66M was part funded by DTI, Department of Trade and Industry, UK. Click here for IMPULSE (M181) - Key Facts.
IMPULSE - Finetech Medical's Outcomes
The core outcomes for Finetech Medical were:
- collaborating with Roessingh Research & Development of The Netherlands on the development of the first version of Finetech Medical's Dropped Foot System (now known as STIMuSTEP ®).
- succesful clinical trials held in both The Netherlands and UK.
IMPULSE - Dissemination (Papers, Reports, Presentations)
A selection of dissemination from the IMPULSE project is presented below:
- Kenney LPJ et al.(2000) ‘Encapsulation materials for implantable FES systems; a case study’ Proc. 5th International Functional Electrical Stimulation Society Conference, Aalborg, Denmark, June 2000: 313-316.
- Kenney LPJ et al.(2000) ‘Sensitivity to typical transmitter misalignment errors in an implantable peroneal nerve stimulator’ Proc. 5th International Functional Electrical Stimulation Society Conference, Aalborg, Denmark, June 2000: 317-320.
- Kenney LPJ et al .(2001). A novel two-channel implanted drop foot stimulator – initial clinical results. Proc 1st Salford International conference on Biomechanics of the Lower Limb in Health,Disease, and Rehabilitation, Salford, UK, September 2001:62-63.
- Kenney LPJ et al (2001) ‘Initial results from two trials of an implantable two channel drop foot stimulator’ Proc. 7th Vienna Workshop on Functional Electrical Stimulation, Vienna, Austria, September 2001: 192-195.
- Kenney LPJ et al (2001) An implantable two channel drop foot stimulator: Initial clinical results. Artificial Organs, Volume 26, Number 3, March 2002 , pp. 267-270(4).
- Van der Aa HE et al (2001). An implantable 2-channel peroneal nerve stimulator: A new treatment for drop foot. Proc. 12th World Congress of Neurosurgery, Sydney, Australia 16-20 September 2001: 103.
- Kenney LPJ (2000). An implantable stimulator for the treatment of dropped foot. Presented at the FES Users Meeting. Salisbury District Hospital. September 2000.
- 10th World Congress of ISPO, Glasgow (2001).
- World Congress of the International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, Amsterdam (2001).