A stroke or a cerebrovascular attack (CVA) is caused when the blood supply to part of the brain is cut off. This is usually because of a blockage or burst blood vessel within the brain, the blockage causes vital brain tissue to die. The blockage in blood flow or loss of blood causes the brain to lack oxygen and blood nutrients. Because the brain controls everything the body does, damage to the brain will affect body functions.
There are 3 main types of stroke:
Facts about strokes
- In the UK, approximately 150,000 people a year have a stroke.
- Anyone can have a stroke, even babies, but the majority of people are over 65.
- Strokes are one of the leading causes of severe adult disability with more than 250,000 people living in the UK with disabilities caused by stroke.
Common symptoms of Stroke
There are tell tale signs that a stroke has or is occurring, these are a selection of the most common stroke symptoms:
- Sudden confusion or trouble speaking
- Sudden dizziness
- Loss of balance or trouble walking
- A sudden, severe headache for no reason.
- Sudden numbness or weakness (especially on one side of the body this may lead to conditions such as Dropped Foot)
Consequences of a stroke
As a result of strokes, people are frequently left with one or more of the following conditions that Finetech Medical's products can help with:
- Dropped foot condition - What is Dropped Foot ? read more here
- Claw hand condition - a condition where the affected hand is gripped in a closed position. The wrist and fingers are stiff and difficult to move.
Finetech Medical produces a range of long-term implantable neuromuscular stimulators to restore function after neurological injuries, like strokes. Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES) can be used to produce contractions in paralysed muscles. Finetech Medical’s implants deliver small electrical pulses to the nerves that supply the paralysed muscles, causing them to contract. An external, wireless device is used to control the implant and its function.
Finetech Medical’s products applicable to these conditions are: