Dropped foot also referred to as foot drop and drop foot is the dropping of the forefoot due to weakness or paralysis of the muscles down the front of the lower leg. This becomes particularly apparent in walking when the foot is off the ground and the toes do not clear the floor. This condition is common amongst stroke sufferers and people with multiple sclerosis. The inability to lift the foot means they are at higher risk of seriously falling and potentially causing further injury.
These are the typical foot movements lost with dropped foot:
Dorsiflexion Inversion Eversion
What causes Dropped Foot?
Dropped foot can be caused by several different means such as:
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Injury to the peroneal nerves
- Parkinson's disease
- Muscular dystrophy (a group of genetic, hereditary muscle diseases that weaken the muscles that move the human body)
- Lou Gehrig’s disease (The disorder causes muscle weakness and atrophy throughout the body as both the upper and lower motor neurons degenerate.)
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) (a form of motor neuron disease)
Dropped Foot Limitations
Dropped foot limitations can vary depending on the severity of the condition. The common limitations are listed below:
- Difficulty walking
- Increased possibility of tripping or falling
- Reduced walking speed
- Reduced walking range
- Reduced joint movement
- Reduced ankle stability
- Loss of muscle bulk/tone
- Reduced local blood flow
Dropped Foot Treatments
Dropped Foot knows few boundaries and can affect the elderly population as well as the young. Our product STIMuSTEP is amongst several options to consider when choosing a treatment for dropped foot. The STIMuSTEP system is available worldwide and in the UK may be covered on the NHS, please complete an enquiry form in our contact us section to enquire about this product and if you qualify for NHS funding.
STIMuSTEP®, a reliable product:
- 5 years on the market (CE Marked November 2004).
- Many patients benefitting worldwide
- STIMuSTEP is available for all age ranges
- Worldwide Distribution
- Highly recommended by medical professionals