What is Finetech-Brindley Bladder Control System?
The Finetech Brindley Bladder Control System (branded as VOCARE in the US) is an active implantable medical device and is intended for restoration of bladder function after complete spinal cord injury. Secondary functions include the aiding of bowel evacuation and penile erection. Spinal cord injuries patients can benefit from this system to:-
- Restore bladder control
- Bowel evacuation
- Penile erection
What are the benefits?
A number of studies of the Finetech-Brindley Bladder Control System have shown a range of benefits for patients, including:
- Elimination of urethral catheters
- A decrease in urinary tract infections
- Increased in bladder capacity
- Improvement in bladder emptying
Improved urinary continence
- Improvement in bowel function
- Greater independence
- Enhanced quality of life
- Cost effectiveness
- Ability to promote penile erection
- Managed bladder function on a regular cycle
How does it work?
The system consists of two parts; the external digital controller which generates control signals and the internal receiver which is permanently implanted in the body to receive those signals. The implantable receiver block is relatively small and is usually located in the abdomen below the ribs under the skin.
Operating the system
- The user selects one of the stimulation programs. The external controller (A) then sends power and control signals to the transmitter block via the transmitter lead (B).
- The user holds the transmitter block (C) over the site of the implant receiver (D).
- The implant receiver converts the signals from the transmitter block into electrical impulses.
- The impulses travel via extremely flexible cables (E) to the electrodes (F).
- The electrodes transfer the impulses to the nerves causing the appropriate muscles to contract at the appropriate time.
In people with average to heavy builds it is unnoticeable; however in slim people a very slight bump might be visible. The risk of the body rejecting the implant is extremely low (less than 1%). Current users of the system have found the device is still functioning perfectly more than 20 years after implantation. The Finetech Brindley Bladder System is a completely safe and highly reliable product.
Is it right for you?
The Finetech-Brindley Bladder Control System is most suitable for people who:
Are skeletally mature
Are neurologically stable
Have intact reflex contractions
Have had a clinically complete spinal cord lesion for at least a year
Contact us if you fit into these criteria and are interested in finding out more about this product and receiving the treatment. We will forward your details to the most appropriate spinal centre.
Frequently Asked Questions - here you can learn more about this product.
User Guides for this product can be downloaded from our Support page if you are a registered user.
DOWNLOAD - Finetech-Brindley Bladder Control System product leaflet.